China Eximbank provides a $295.8 million USD buyer's credit loan for Phase 1 of Lusaka Urban Road (L400) Upgrade Project (Linked to #57194, #57190, #57218)
Constant 2017 USD
Funding agency [Type]
Export-Import Bank of China [State-owned Policy Bank]
Transport and storage (Code: 210)
Export Buyer's Credit
On August 29, 2012, the Zambia Road Development Agency (RDA) signed a $348,293,745 USD commercial contract with AVIC International Project Company Limited for Phase 1 of Lusaka Urban Road (L400) Upgrade Project. Then, on July 17, 2013, China Eximbank and the Government of Zambia signed a $295.8 million USD buyer’s credit loan (BCL) agreement for this project (see 2013 Annual Economic Report p. 59). The loan terms are unknown. This loan covers 85% of the commercial contract with AVIC International and the Government of Zambia committed to providing counterpart funding for the remaining 15%. The Lusaka Urban Road (L400) Project involves the design, rehabilitate, upgrade and construct approximately 402 km of selected urban and township roads in Lusaka City. At baseline, 14% of the road network in Lusaka was in good condition, 15% in fair condition. and 71% in poor condition. L400 was therefore initiated in order to enhance mobility within the city through reduced traffic congestion, travel times, and vehicle maintenance costs. The scope of works included widening selected roads which have very high traffic volume, improving selected roads to and within the industrial and commercial areas, construction of bus bays along selected bus routes as part of road safety measures, improving of public transport infrastructure, re-engineering selected junctions to improve traffic flow, construction of walkways along selected roads, providing interchange solution for Kafue Roundabout. Phase I was divided into 4 lots. The roads in Lot 1 included Burma, Chilimbulu, Mumbwa, roads in Chinika area, roads in the Industrial area and a road leading to Barlastone from Chunga covering a distance of 119 km. The roads in Lot 2 included roads in areas around Chawama, Lilayi, Kamwala South and Libala South covering a distance of 216.3 km. Lot 3 comprised roads in areas around Chelston, Avondale, Ibex and Kamanga. The total distance of roads in Lot 3 was 77 km. The roads that were included in Lot 4 are unknown. The Phase 1 groundbreaking ceremony took place on August 16, 2013. Works were supposed to last 43 months. The roads that were successfully rehabilitated, paved through Phase 1 were opened to traffic on December 31, 2017.In 2016, China Eximbank provided a loan for Phase 2 of the L400 Project (#57218). In 2018, China Eximbank (#57190) and ICBC (#57194) loaned additional funds for Phase 3.
The Chinese project title is 卢萨卡L400道路改扩建 or L400道路改扩建工程.
Number of official sources
Number of unofficial sources
Receiving agencies [Type]
Government of Zambia [Government Agency]
Implementing agencies [Type]
AVIC International Holding Corporation [State-owned Company]; Zambia Road Development Agency [Government Agency]